Top 5 Impressive Benefits of Vitamin C for Skin
Vitamin C is popularly known as the most vital and multi-functional ingredient for glowing skin and gleaming complexion. Vitamin C for skin not only helps in healing your damaged area but also minimises the formation of your scar. The various properties of Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) makes it the most lovable Vitamin among people who love to care for their skin health. Uneven skin tone, rough texture, fine lines, acne scars, general dullness - just think about any of your complexion concern and there would be a good chance that Vitamin C is a most recommended treatment option for the same. Try it yourself!
This magic vitamin is known for the role of collagen synthesis and antioxidant protection. Vitamin C for skin rejuvenation helps in the prevention and treatment of Ultraviolet (UV) induced photodamage. However, the effects of Vitamin C on our skin are not well understood due to the lack of research papers on it. So let’s dig into the existing research content and find out the impressive benefits of Vitamin C for the skin.
So, if you’ve been on the fence about this key ingredient, here are five very important reasons why it should be included in your skincare routine:
- VITAMIN C IS AN ULTIMATE ANTIOXIDANT
We often hear about the benefits of antioxidant for our skin. But do we actually know about what antioxidant is exactly?
Antioxidants are famous for providing protection against oxidative stresses by destroying free radicals. Free radicals are reactive molecules. They can damage the skin by destroying our cells. This then promotes inflammation around follicles and can lead to breakouts. They develop and accelerate as we age due to the reduction in defence mechanism. They also generate when our skin is exposed to ultraviolet rays, toxins and pollution. Due to this, our ageing process starts running and our skin becomes prone to damage.
Here comes, the role of Vitamin C for our skin. Vitamin C attacks the damaging effects of free radicals with the help of its antioxidant properties and gives you smooth and clearer skin. It keeps away free radicals and protects your skin.
- VITAMIN C ELEVATES COLLAGEN SYNTHESIS
Collagen and elastin is a well-known protein found in our skin. They work together to provide structure and shape to our skin. As we age, collagen and elastin production starts to deteriorate and it becomes visible in the form of skin ageing and wrinkle formation. Vitamin C for our skin helps in promoting collagen synthesis and helps in achieving clearer appearance and suppleness in our skin. It also has the ability to reduce fine lines and wrinkles while leaving you with naturally youthful texture. So no more skin sagging, once you start using this magic potion. There are various ways you can use this. One of them would be topical applications in the form of cream or serum and another is the consumption of Vitamin C supplements. Find which suits you the best!
- VITAMIN C AND PHOTO PROTECTION
Vitamin C protects our skin against sun damage. It reduces photodamage due to its ability to regulate collagen synthesis. It doesn’t absorb the UVA and UVB spectrum in the same way as sunscreens do but assists in reducing the damages done by UVB and UVB rays.
When we apply topical Vitamin C on our skin, then it is more effective in preventing photodamage, and combining it with Vitamin E works wonder. Bella Vita Organic Vitamin C Face wash with coffee beans, neem & mint helps in oil control, acne, skin brightening and natural glow. Give it a try and see the transformation yourself.
- VITAMIN C KICKS AWAY DRY SKIN
Vitamin C with the help of its collagen production properties keeps dry skin away. It combines together and gives soft and supple skin. It also enhances the production content of barrier lipids and natural moisturising factor of the stratum corneum (skin layer).
Topical application of Vitamin C also helps in reducing the dry and flaky skin along with the reduction of the roughness of your skin. You can also consume this through intake of various citrus fruits and vegetables like orange, strawberries, broccoli, spinach etc.
- VITAMIN C AS A DEPIGMENTING AGENT
Vitamin C works wonders in reducing skin discolouration and pigmentation. Stubborn skin discolouration like redness, hyperpigmentation and undereye circles are easily targetted by this wonderful magic potion. It brightens the complexion and makes your skin radiant and healthy-looking.
The melanin content of our skin helps to give our skin it’s colour. Whenever we expose our skin to the sun, the melanin particles absorb the sun’s rays and forms a protective layer on our skin. The excess melanin forms deposits in the skin which results in hyperpigmentation. So, topical application of Vitamin C helps in fading the dark spots and brightening the skin.
Tips For Vitamin C Usage
- Use this magic potion in the morning for best results. Although you can use it during any time of the day but make sure to apply it in the morning, before heading outside, as it will give your skin that protective layer against UVA and UVB rays.
- Do not use Vitamin C serum with Retinol as it does not go hand in hand. Using them together may cause irritation. But, they work amazingly in different skin environments. So using them at the same time may make both less effective.
- Use products enriched with Vitamin C before applying moisturiser to protect your skin against harmful chemicals.
- Vitamin C is sensitive to light and air. When it is exposed to these factors, it becomes oxidised and it’s effectiveness reduces. It becomes less stable and efficacious.
- Do not limit yourself to serums. There are various ways to incorporate Vitamin C into your skincare routine. You can consume it in the form of various foods and vegetable. Nowadays, there are face wash, moisturisers, and creams enriched with it. Try them all and choose the best.
We hope you loved our curated information for Vitamin C. For more such informative articles, do follow our social media to not miss any update.